A systematic search for attributes that make a fig species invasive, weedy or vulnerable to extinction. An account to chronicle the journey of research and the writing of a scientific paper.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ficus finds in Pulau Tioman


I was at Pulau Tioman doing this...

And guessed what I found?


I was very excited to see Ficus species, but due to inexperience, I wasn't able to access the leaves, so I couldn't pluck branches down for IDing. We saw this HUGE fig tree! I like it a lot. :)

And after reading about ramiflory, cauliflory/flagiflory on the Floras, to be able to see it for real for the first time on a live specimen gives an incredible feeling. Look! This ficus species is both cauliflorous and flagelliflorous/geocarpic.



If it's growing on the rock, it's lithophytic as well! :)

I've been truely blessed by these chance encounters with these fig species.

Hope I can make a trip to visit specimens at the Botanic Gardens soon!

No comments: