A systematic search for attributes that make a fig species invasive, weedy or vulnerable to extinction. An account to chronicle the journey of research and the writing of a scientific paper.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What I learn from ST 2137

What is Data?
"Data" is defined as
-things known (the attributes of Ficus species worldwide)
-assumed facts or figures
for which conclusions can be inferred. (which attributes are related to invasiveness, threatenedness)

What are the uses of data?
-To draw conclusions and make decisions (So which species are potential invasives and which species might we potentially lose forever? So we know which not to be cultivated and which to protect)
-To confirm statements (Is it true that smaller fig size mean more animals can eat and more well dispersed thus more weedy?)
-To make predictions on events to come (This species might go weedy, this might be threatened)

What is data analysis?
-The art of examining, summarizing, and drawing conclusions from data
-Transforming the data into knowledge.

Questions (hypothesis)-->Collecting data (which I don't do physically, unlike my other Honours friends)-->Analyzing data-->Answers/More questions/Any patterns/relationships (we all must do this and write it in our thesis)--> either conclude or collect more data

So technically all research students who work with data collection are doing data analysis.

Also Prof. Chan Yiu Man mentioned "we must get evidence to support what we believe in". This is my weakness. I must believe in Science. I must trust that the data and analysis method I use and produce evidence that creates knowledge and I must be able to stand by my work.

I work hard and I believe in what I do.

No comments: